In the class, we learned that the energy cost of creating a vacancy in a crystal (?v) is balanced by the increase in configurational entropy. However, the amount of entropy gained by placing a single vacancy in the crystal increases with the number of atomic sites in the crystal. Therefore, there may be a minimum number of atomic sites (N) that are needed to create sufficient entropy to stabilize a vacancy. (i) Equate the vacancy formation energy with the configurational entropy associated with adding a single vacancy to a crystal with N sites, and solve for N as a function of ?v and T. (ii) Using the equation above, graph ln(N) v. 1/T for vacancy formation energies of 0.5 eV, 1.0 eV, 2.0 eV, and 3.0 eV. These four curves can be plotted on the same graph. (iii) Assume a cube shaped crystal with atomic sites at the vertices of a primitive cubic lattice with a lattice spacing of 0.2 nm. Under what conditions can a crystal with edge length of 100 nm be perfect? Under what conditions can a 1 micron crystal be perfect?
(Solved): In the class, we learned that th…
by | Mar 12, 2022 | Uncategorized
We offer the best custom paper writing services. We have done this question before, we can also do it for you.
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How It Works
- Click on the “Place Your Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER INFORMATION" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “PREVIEW” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.